Indulge in our Vegan Date Squares Recipe. These delectable treats offer a delightful combination of healthiness, a golden crispy exterior and a mouthwatering filling. Plus, they're a breeze to prepare! This vegan dessert isn't just delicious; it also offers that irresistible crunch that will leave you craving more.
What Ingredients Do I Need to Make Vegan Date Squares?
Let's start with the heart of our recipe – the ingredients. Here's what you'll need:
- Date Filling
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Flour (all-purpose, oat, or almond)
- Brown sugar or coconut sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Baking powder
- Vegan butter or coconut oil
- Chopped pecans
These ingredients, when combined, create a delightful contrast of crunchy and sweet with a luscious date filling.
How to Make Vegan Date Squares
Now, let's dive into the simple steps to create these heavenly date squares:
- Preparation: Grease a square pan and line it with parchment paper, leaving some overhang on both sides. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Date Filling: In a saucepan, combine the pitted dates, water, lemon juice, and vanilla. Heat over medium heat, breaking down the dates into small pieces. Once it boils, add the baking soda and cook for 4-6 minutes until it forms a paste. Set aside.
- Crisp Mix: In a bowl, mix oats, your choice of flour, sugar, ground cinnamon, and baking powder. Add vegan butter or coconut oil and mix with a fork until it resembles a sandy dough.
- Assembly: Press half of the crisp mixture into the prepared pan to create a compact base. Spread the date filling evenly on top. To the remaining crisp mixture, add chopped pecans and combine. Crumble this mixture on top of the date filling and lightly press it down.
- Baking: Bake for 40-45 minutes until the crust turns golden brown.
- Cool and Cut: Allow the squares to cool before cutting to ensure they hold their shape. Once cooled, cut them into 9 squares or bars.
- Storage: Store your vegan date squares in the fridge for freshness.
Cooking Tips and Essential Info
Now, let's address some important tips to ensure your date squares turn out perfectly:
- Pitted Dates: When weighing the dates, make sure they're already pitted.
- Crunchy Clusters: When adding pecans to the crisp mixture, use your hands to create clusters for that extra crunch.
- Cooling is Key: Allowing the squares to cool before cutting prevents them from falling apart.
Variations to Explore
Get creative with your vegan date squares by trying out these tasty variations:
- Coconut Dream: Add shredded coconut to the crisp mix for a tropical twist.
- Nutty Bliss: Experiment with different nuts like walnuts or cashews for added flavor and texture.
- Chocolate Temptation: Sprinkle vegan chocolate chips on top for a delightful chocolatey surprise.
- Fruity Infusion: Mix dried fruits like raisins or cranberries into the date filling for a burst of fruity sweetness.
Watch it step by step
Can I use gluten-free flour in this recipe?
Absolutely! Feel free to substitute with your preferred gluten-free flour.
How long do these date squares stay fresh in the fridge?
When stored in an airtight container, they should stay fresh for about a week.
Can I freeze these squares for later?
Yes, you can freeze them for up to three months. Just ensure they're well wrapped.
Is there a substitute for vegan butter?
You can use coconut oil as a substitute for vegan butter.
Can I add spices like nutmeg or cardamom for extra flavor?
Of course! Spices like nutmeg or cardamom can enhance the flavor profile of these squares.
If you like dates, I'm sure you'll love our Date Caramel! It's so delicious!
Vegan Date Squares (easy and healthy!)
- 350 g dates, pitted* (~2 cups)
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 170 g oats (~1⅔ cups)
- 155 g all-purpose flour / oat flour / almond flour (~1⅓ cups)
- 80 g brown or coconut sugar (6 ½ tbsp)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 150 g vegan butter or coconut oil (~⅔ cup)
- 50 g chopped pecans (⅓ cup)
- Grease a square pan (20 cm), line it with a piece of parchment paper and let the ends "hang" on both sides; make sure to grease the two walls that are not covered by the paper. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- To prepare the filling, in a small saucepan, add the pitted dates, water, lemon juice, and vanilla. Bring to medium heat and mix occasionally to break the dates down into small pieces. Once it starts boiling, add the baking soda and continue mixing for 4-6 more minutes until it turns into a paste. Reserve.
- Prepare the crisp by mixing the oats, flour of your choice, sugar, cinnamon, and baking powder. Once integrated, add the butter or coconut oil and mix with a fork until you get a slightly sandy dough.
- Pour half of the crisp mix into the previously prepared pan and press to make a compact base. Add the date filling on top and spread evenly. To the other half of the mix, add the chopped pecans and use your hands to integrate and squeeze the mix together to create some clusters. Crumble on top of the date filling and press lightly to adhere.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before cutting so that the squares do not fall apart. Once it has cooled, cut into 9 squares or bars.
- Store in a container in the fridge.