Vegan Date Squares (easy & healthy!) ♥
For today’s recipe we will prepare a vegan dessert that is absolutely delicious: Vegan Date Squares. They are quick to make, delicious, healthy, crispy, with simple and easy-to-find ingredients.
This type of dessert is also perfect to take to school, to work, as a snack, etc. They are so delicious!
Watch it step by step
Which ingredients do I need?
For this delicious vegan dessert we are going to need:
- Lemon juice
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Flour (all-purpose / oat flour / almond flour)
- Brown or coconut sugar
- Cinnamon powder
- Baking powder
- Vegan butter or coconut oil
- Chopped pecans (or any other type of nut)
What can I omit from the ingredient list?
You can certainly skip the pecans, but they add an incredible touch of flavor and texture, to the recipe.
Do these Vegan Date Squares freeze well?
Absolutely, just make sure they’ve cooled completely before freezing and store them in an airtight container. Before eating these vegan date squares let them thaw in the fridge overnight so they are ready for the next day.
Now, let’s prepare these delicious Vegan Date Squares (easy & healthy!) ♥
Vegan Date Squares (easy & healthy!)
- 350 g dates, pitted* (~2 cups)
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 170 g oats (~1⅔ cups)
- 155 g all-purpose flour / oat flour / almond flour (~1⅓ cups)
- 80 g brown or coconut sugar (6 ½ tbsp)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 150 g vegan butter or coconut oil (~⅔ cup)
- 50 g chopped pecans (⅓ cup)
- Grease a square pan (20 cm), line it with a piece of parchment paper and let the ends “hang” on both sides; make sure to grease the two walls that are not covered by the paper. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- To prepare the filling, in a small saucepan, add the pitted dates, water, lemon juice, and vanilla. Bring to medium heat and mix occasionally to break the dates down into small pieces. Once it starts boiling, add the baking soda and continue mixing for 4-6 more minutes until it turns into a paste. Reserve.
- Prepare the crisp by mixing the oats, flour of your choice, sugar, cinnamon, and baking powder. Once integrated, add the butter or coconut oil and mix with a fork until you get a slightly sandy dough.
- Pour half of the crisp mix into the previously prepared pan and press to make a compact base. Add the date filling on top and spread evenly. To the other half of the mix, add the chopped pecans and use your hands to integrate and squeeze the mix together to create some clusters. Crumble on top of the date filling and press lightly to adhere.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before cutting so that the squares do not fall apart. Once it has cooled, cut into 9 squares or bars.
- Store in a container in the fridge.