Vegan Heart Cookie Cake ♥
Since February 14th isa round the corner, today we are going to prepare some cute cookies for Valentine’s day. Heart-shaped or not, this vegan dessert is delicious! You don’t need any special mold or pan, just find a sheet of paper, a pencil and scissors to trace the heart and use it as a template to shape our cookies. So, if you want to make your own template, take a look at the video so you can watch how to do it step by step.
Watch it step by step
What ingredients do I need to prepare this Vegan Heart Cookie Cake?
For this delicious vegan dessert we are going to need:
- Coconut oil
- Icing sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Dairy-free milk
- Dairy free chocolate
- Maple or agave syrup
- Decorations to taste (fruit, chocolates, etc.)
Where can I get vegan chocolate?
Vegan chocolate is the one that does not contain dairy or honey. Most of the dark or semi-sweet chocolates on the market are dairy-free (without even saying it on the front label), you just have to check that the ingredient list doesn’t contáis n any type of dairy or derivatives, or honey. Even if it says “it may contain milk, dairy, etc.”, you can use it, since this legend is only to prevent people who are allergic to the slightest trace of milk that could have been somewhere in the vicinity of an ingredient of the chocolate (cross-contamination).
How do I store the cookies?
As a personal suggestion (it’s my favorite thing to do), store the cookies in an airtight container and in the refrigerator. This way they will stay crisp for longer.
Can I freeze the dough for this Vegan Heart Cookie Cake?
By all means, just wrap the dough with plastic film or store it in an airtight container.
Remember that to prepare this Vegan Heart Cookie Cake, the following is very important:
- If you have a scale, weigh the ingredients instead of measuring them with cups and tablespoons. This is to be as accurate as possible.
- Do not over-mix the cookie mix, as soon as the ingredients are integrated, stop mixing (to prevent them from getting hard).
- When you remove the cookies from the oven, let them cool on the tray for 10-15 minutes before removing them.
- Keep in mind that all ovens are different and the baking time may vary slightly.
Now, let’s prepare this delicious Vegan Heart Cookie Cake ♥
Vegan Heart Cookie Cake
- 126 g coconut oil solid ((9 tbsp))
- 65 g icing sugar ½ cup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 180 g all-purpose flour (1½ cups)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp dairy-free milk
- 90 g dairy-free chocolate
- 70 ml dairy-free milk very hot ((4½ tbsp))
- 1-2 tbsp agave or maple syrup
- 42 g vegan butter or coconut oil (3 tbsp)
- In a medium bowl, add the coconut oil and whisk until smooth. Add the sugar, vanilla and beat until completely integrated.
- Add the flour, salt and integrate with a spatula or using your hands until you get a homogeneous but soft dough. If necessary, add the tablespoon of milk to reach that texture.
- Roll the dough out onto a piece of parchment paper or silicone mat (4mm thick).
- Place a heart-shaped template (heart border) on the dough and use a knife to cut the shape (in the recipe video I share how to make the template).
- Transfer the heart to a nonstick baking tray or lined with parchment paper by quickly flipping it over (it’s easier this way than peeling it off from where you made the cuts). Repeat the same procedure 3 more times.
- Pop the cookies in the fridge for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. Remove and let cool still on the tray.
- In a medium bowl, add the chocolate broken into small pieces. Add the hot milk, let it sit for 5 minutes and start mixing until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Add the maple syrup and mix a couple more times until the chocolate looks shiny and smooth. Reserve in the fridge.
- In another medium bowl, beat the butter or coconut oil until smooth. Add the chocolate mix while continuing to beat until fully incorporated.
- If the filling is too soft (because the chocolate was still warm), just let it chill in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes.
- Transfer the filling to a piping bag fitted with your favorite tip (preferably a star or circle tip).
- Fill the cookies using your piping bag, layer by layer; for the first two cookie layers you can only pipe the edges and leave the center empty, but for the last layer make sure it is fully covered with the filling. Decorate to taste.
Leave a Reply