Looking for a tasty and healthy breakfast option? Look no further than these Vegan Lentil and Oatmeal Pancakes! Made with red lentils, oats, dairy-free milk, coconut sugar, baking powder, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla, these pancakes are not only super nutritious and gluten-free, but they’re also fluffy and absolutely delicious. And the best part? You won’t even taste the lentils!
Lentils and oats? Say what?
But let’s talk about lentils for a moment. Lentils are a great addition to any diet, especially for those following a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle. They’re a high-protein and low-fat food, making them a perfect option for those looking to build and maintain muscle mass. Plus, they’re loaded with fiber, which can help keep your digestion on track and prevent constipation.
But the benefits of lentils don’t stop there. They’re also an excellent source of iron, which is essential for healthy blood circulation and preventing anemia. Lentils are also rich in folate, a B-vitamin that’s important for maintaining healthy brain function and preventing birth defects.
And let’s not forget about the other ingredients in these pancakes. Oats are a fantastic source of fiber and can help lower cholesterol levels, coconut sugar is a natural sweetener, apple cider vinegar can help with digestion and is proved to have several health benefits, and so on.
So, not only are these Vegan Lentil and Oatmeal Pancakes delicious and easy to make, but they’re also incredibly healthy and packed with nutrients. Give them a try and see for yourself how tasty and nutritious they can be!
How to make these Vegan Lentil and Oatmeal Pancakes
These Vegan Lentil and Oatmeal Pancakes are made with very simple and nutritious ingredients. We will use:
- Red lentils
- Plant-based milk (you can make it at home with our recipe “Homemade Vegetable Milk with only 2 Ingredients“)
- Fine ground oats (or oat flour)
- Apple cider vinegar
- Sweetener (coconut or brown sugar)
- Baking powder
Preparation of these Vegan Lentil and Oatmeal Pancakes
First, the soaked lentils are blended with milk, sugar, vinegar and vanilla. Then that mix is integrated with the dry ingredients until a homogeneous batter is obtained. And finally they are cooked just like regular pancakes, only they necessarily have to be covered with a lid when cooking and keep the heat low so that they have enough time to cook all the way through.
Are these Vegan Lentil and Oatmeal Pancakes gluten-free?
Yes, these Vegan Lentil and Oatmeal Pancakes are made with oats, although if you’re celiac or allergic to gluten keep something in mind. Oats are naturally gluten-free, but they can become contaminated with gluten during processing if they are grown, harvested, or processed alongside wheat, barley, or rye. Cross-contamination can occur if the same equipment is used for both gluten-containing grains and oats. To ensure that oats are gluten-free, it’s important to look for certified gluten-free oats that have been grown and processed separately from other grains.
Can I use a different type of lentil?
Red lentils work best for this recipe, but you can experiment with other types of lentils if you prefer.
What type of dairy-free milk should I use?
You can use any type of dairy-free milk that you prefer, such as almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk.
Can I make these pancakes ahead of time?
Yes, you can make these pancakes ahead of time and store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
Can I use a different type of sugar?
Yes, you can use any type of sugar that you prefer, such as maple syrup or agave nectar. Just adjust the amount accordingly.
Can I use a different type of vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar works best for this recipe, but you can use white vinegar or lemon juice as a substitute.
If you love pancakes, and especially when they’re high in protein, make sure to check this recipe out: Vegan Protein Pancakes.
Give these Vegan Lentil and Oatmeal Pancakes a chance and discover how soft, fluffy, and delicious they are for yourself. Don’t worry, they won’t taste like lentils! So be sure to try them out and let me know what you think in the comments below. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe and decide to share it on Facebook or Instagram, don’t forget to tag me @happyvegannie + #happyvegannie. I love seeing your yummy recreations 💕
Vegan Lentil and Oatmeal Pancakes
- ½ cup red lentils measure dry, then soak
- 1½ cups dairy-free milk
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp coconut or brown sugar (62 g)
- 1½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Soak the red lentils in hot water for at least 1 hour, then drain and rinse.
- In a blender, combine the soaked red lentils, dairy-free milk, coconut or brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oat flour and baking powder.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Heat a non-stick pan over low heat and grease it a little bit. Pour 1/4-1/2 cup of the batter onto the pan for each pancake. Spread slightly with a spoon so they’re around 1 cm thick.
- Put the lid on and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Repeat with the remaining batter, greasing the pan with a little bit of oil between each pancake.
- Serve warm with your favorite toppings, such as fresh fruit, maple syrup, or nut butter.
- Enjoy your fluffy and delicious vegan lentil and oatmeal pancakes!
Leave a Reply