Vegan Mixed Berry Crumble Muffins ♥
Today we will prepare some super delicious vegan mixed Berry crumble muffins. They are mega fluffy, the flavor that comes out from mixing berries with a touch of lemon zest, plus the crunchiness of the crumble, woah! It’s really good!
What are plant milks or dairy-free milks made of?
Plant milks are those made from grains, seeds or cereals, and which, therefore, are dairy-free. For example, soy milk, almond milk, oat milk, rice milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, etc.
What type of oil is the best one for baking muffins?
Canola oil, definitely. It is the one with the most neutral flavor and makes the muffins very soft in addition to giving the crumb a lot of flexibility. But coconut oil is also very good for baking, although the flavor may be a little more noticeable.
Can I use whole wheat flour or oat flour to make these vegan mixed berry crumble muffins?
Yes, I recommend using 50% whole wheat flour and 50% all-purpose flour, or you could even increase the whole wheat flour ratio a bit more. However, the more you increase the whole wheat flour amount, the heavier the sponge will become. So 50/50 is a pretty good ratio.
And for oat flour, you can completely substitute it (1:1), just make sure to grind your oats very finely (in case you make your own oat flour).
Can I skip the crumble when making these muffins?
Sure, follow the same procedure just without the crumble.
Can I use any type of fruit?
Without a doubt, you can add mango, pineapple, apple, peach, banana, or some similar fruit.
Remember these important points when making these vegan mixed berry crumble muffins:
- If you have a scale, weigh the ingredients instead of measuring them with cups and tablespoons. This is to be as accurate as possible.
- Do not over-mix the batter, as soon as the ingredients are integrated, stop mixing.
- When you take the muffins out of the oven, let them cool in their pan for 10-15 minutes before removing them.
- Keep in mind that all ovens are different and the baking time may vary, so do the toothpick test when the top of the muffins looks done or slightly brown (insert a toothpick in the center of one of the muffins, if it comes out clean, the muffins are done, if it comes out with a little batter in it, bake for a little longer).
Now, let’s prepare these delicious Vegan Mixed Berry Crumble Muffins ♥
By the way, this is our new cookbook! 😍
Click on the image to get more info.
Vegan Mixed Berry Crumble Muffins
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (240 ml)
- 2 tsp vinegar apple or white
- 2 cups all-purpose flour* (240 g)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 100 ml canola oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups mixed berries fresh or frozen
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ cup all-purpose flour* (60 g)
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp non-dairy milk add a little more if necessary
- Prepare the crumble by mixing all its ingredients until you get a sandy mixture. Squeeze the dough with your hands to form large chunks of crumble (this is to make the crumble tighter, crunchier and to help it stick to the muffin batter).
- Reserve in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 355°F (180°C). Grease and dust a muffin tin or skip this step by using muffin liners. Reserve.
- In a medium bowl, mix the milk with the vinegar and beat for a couple of seconds. Let it rest for 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Reserve.
- To the previous milk, add the sugar, oil, and vanilla and beat until the sugar dissolves.
- Gradually add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients, whisking until no large lumps of flour are visible. NOTE: Do not over-mix as it can affect the texture of the muffins. Fold in the mixed berries and lemon zest.
- In equal portions, pour the batter into the previously prepared pan, filling about ¾ of its capacity (will make about 8 large muffins).
- Add crumble on top of the muffins (make sure to cover the surface completely) and press lightly to adhere to the batter.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick or knife inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Take out of the oven and let it cool down.
- Store in an airtight container in a cool place.