Vegan Strawberry Tart (gluten-free!) ♥
Today we will prepare a delicious Vegan Strawberry Tart made of a crunchy oat and almond crust, and a creamy and light strawberry filling.
To prepare this vegan strawberry tart we need very few ingredients, all very easy to get, except for one that may require a little bit more effort to get. This ingredient is agar powder.
What is agar powder?
Agar powder is a natural gelling agent or thickener obtained from seaweed. Let’s say it is a vegetable gelatin, meaning it does not come from animals. By using agar powder we achieve the same gelling or thickening effect that gelatin has on liquids.
Where can I get agar powder?
Agar powder is widely used in asian cuisine, so you can probably find it in a store that sells asian products. You can also get it in stores that sell vegan / vegetarian products or even at the supermarket. But if you want to go the easy and straightforward way, you can simply order it online, there’s plenty of options on the web.
Can I substitute agar powder?
To achieve a good firmness in the filling, I recommend that you do not substitute it. You could potentially add more corn starch to thicken it, but the flavor and consistency will be much heavier. So, to keep the strawberry lightness and freshness, use agar powder. It can be a little pricey but it’s super worth it.
Can I substitute the margarine in this vegan strawberry tart recipe?
Sure, you can use coconut oil or some other type of vegan butter.
Could you use any other fruit?
Of course, it works perfectly with blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, peaches, kiwi, or mango. Use the same amount of fruit marked in the recipe (2 cups).
Can I use any other type of vegetable milk to make this vegan strawberry tart?
Ideally, you should use a thick vegetable milk to achieve the same creaminess and firmness result, that is why we are using full-fat coconut milk, but you could also use creamy soy or oat milk.
If you opt for another plant milk, such as almond milk, rice milk, nut milk, etc., you may need to slightly adjust the amount of agar powder (increase it a little), to get a similar result.
Now, let’s prepare this delicious Vegan Strawberry Tart ♥
By the way, this is our new cookbook! 😍
Click on the image to get more info.
Vegan Strawberry Tart (gluten-free!)
- 2 cups oat flour 208 g
- 1 cup ground almonds 110 g*
- 1 tbsp flaxmeal 9 g
- 2 tbsp cornstarch 18 g
- ½ cup brown sugar 100 g
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp cold margarine or coconut oil chunks 140 g
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries 285 g
- 400 ml full-fat coconut milk
- ½ cup brown sugar 100 g
- 1 tbsp lemon juice 15 ml
- 1 tbsp cornstarch 9 g
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp agar powder
- Mix the dry ingredients for the crust (oat flour, ground almonds, flaxmeal, cornstarch, sugar and salt).
- Add margarine or coconut oil chunks, vanilla and mix with a dough cutter or spatula (do not use your hands, it is important to prevent the margarine or oil from melting) until you get a sandy consistency. Mixing consists of chopping the coconut oil with the cutter and integrate it with the rest of the ingredients. Reserve.
- Grease a springform pan.
- Pour the previous mixture into the pan and press towards the bottom and the sides of the pan. Moisten your hands with a little water to make the process easier.
- Pop the pan in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Remove the pan from the freezer and bake for 24 minutes. Turn the oven off and let the crust rest inside for 8 more minutes (without opening the oven). Take the pan out of the oven and let it cool down.
- To prepare the filling, blend the strawberries, coconut milk, sugar and lemon juice. Transfer to a pot and bring to medium heat.
- Mix the cornstarch with the water and pour it into the pot. Mix again and add agar powder (1 teaspoon at a time). Once it starts boiling, let it cook for 2 minutes (to actívate the agar powder) and remove from heat.
- Pass the mixture through a strainer to avoid possible lumps and pour into the previous pan.
- Let cool and refrigerate for 2 hours or until the filling is completely firm.
- Garnish with more fruit to taste.
- Keep in the fridge.