Crispy Vegan Hashbrowns ♥
If you like crispy chips or French fries, I promise you are going to love these crispy vegan hashbrowns or waffle fries.
They are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The combination of flavors is great, but above all, they are very easy to prepare and there is no need to fry them, yay!
If I don’t have a waffle maker, can I use something else?
If you have a sandwich maker or something similar, you can use it without a problem. If it’s not nonstick, be sure to grease it a bit. You could also use a skillet, but the hashbrown won’t be as crispy unless you use oil to fry it.
Can I skip the nutritional yeast?
You can certainly skip the nutritional yeast, but it makes these crispy vegan hashbrowns so much tastier. Nowadays is easier to find nutritional yeast in stores, so I would really recommend you have it in your pantry.
Nutritional yeast is not like yeast to make bread, it is an inactive yeast that provides a lot of nutrients and flavor very similar to cheese.
Can I freeze my crispy vegan hashbrowns?
Of course! Just store them in an airtight container or ziploc bags. You can keep them frozen for up to 3-4 months without a problem. Whenever you feel like eating them, take them out of the freezer and let them thaw for 30 mins, then put them in the toaster (or in the oven) so they get crispy again.
What can I serve these crispy vegan hashbrown with?
100% serve them with ketchup or your favorite dip. If you’re eating them as a snack I recommend serving them with ketchup, guacamole and salsa. Or if you want to have them for breakfast, you can also serve them with scrambled tofu, or even as a side dish for a burger, salad, etc.
Now, let’s prepare these delicious Crispy Vegan Hashbrowns ♥
By the way, this is our new cookbook! 😍
Click on the image to get more info.
Crispy Vegan Hashbrowns
- 500 g potatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 g) flour
- 1 ½ tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 60 g vegan cheese, grated
- Prepare a bowl with a towel on top (to squeeze the potatoes). Reserve.
- Peel the potatoes and grate them. Transfer the grated potatoes to the towel and squeeze them. Try to get as much liquid as posible out. Discard the liquid.
- In the same large bowl, place the squeezed potatoes and add the seasonings: nutritional yeast, garlic, onion, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Add the flour, oil and mix (you can use your hands to make the mixing easier).
- Add the grated cheese and mix again.
- Heat a nonstick waffle maker (if it’s not nonstick, grease it). Distribute the potato mix evenly in the hot waffle maker, close it and let it cook for 13-15 minutes. If you don’t want it to be crispy, and just soft, cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Serve with ketchup or your favorite dip.