Indulge in the velvety goodness of vegan & homemade Nutella. With just 3 wholesome ingredients, this easy recipe guarantees a nutritious twist on a classic favorite. Create magic in your kitchen today!
If you like Nutella, after you try this natural and homemade version, I assure you that you will no longer want to buy it in the store again.
Regardless of the fact that when making homemade nutella you can control which ingredients go in there, that it is delicious, that it is much healthier than the commercial version, etc., you also stop contributing to an industry that cuts down an unimaginable number of jungle hectares and displaces thousands of monkeys and other animals from their natural habitat to obtain palm oil.
In this recipe we use only 3 ingredients and that's it. No palm oil. So by making our own nutella at home we take care of the planet and, above all, we have a lower environmental impact derived from our consumption decisions.
What ingredients do I need to make homemade nutella?
- Hazelnuts: These tiny powerhouses are the heart and soul of our Nutella. They bring a rich, nutty flavor that forms the base of our spread. Plus, they're loaded with nutrients like vitamin E and healthy fats that do wonders for your body.
- Cocoa Powder: The key to that irresistible chocolatey punch, cocoa powder adds depth and decadence to our Nutella. Rich in antioxidants and naturally low in sugar.
- Brown Sugar or Sweetener of Choice: Sweetening the deal is our next ingredient. Whether you opt for traditional brown sugar or your favorite natural sweetener, this component ties everything together with just the right touch of sweetness.
How do I make homemade nutella?
Creating your very own vegan Nutella is a breeze, and here's how you can do it:
- Roasting the Hazelnuts: If your hazelnuts are raw, let's give them a little toasty love. Pop them into a pan over low heat and keep them dancing with an occasional stir. Once the skins start separating from the nuts and they take on a slightly darker hue, it's time to move on.
- Cooling and Skin Removal: Transfer your roasted hazelnuts to a spacious bowl and let them cool down. Once they've chilled out, gently rub them to release their skins. This step might seem like a small detail, but it's what gives your Nutella that extra smoothness.
- Blending the Dream: Place your hazelnuts in a trusty blender or food processor. Add the cocoa powder and let the magic happen. Blend until you achieve a creamy, slightly runny consistency. As your Nutella hangs out in the fridge, it'll turn into a luxurious, thicker delight.
- Sweetening the Deal: Now, it's time to add your chosen sweetener. Whether you're team brown sugar or have a favorite healthier alternative, introduce it to the mix and blend for a couple more minutes. This is where the enchanting balance between nutty, chocolatey, and sweet comes to life.
- Chill and Savor: Once you've achieved Nutella nirvana, transfer your creation to a jar and let it chill in the refrigerator. When you're ready to indulge, spread this velvety goodness on toast, dip your favorite fruits, or simply grab a spoon and enjoy!
FAQs about this homemade nutella
Can I use pre-roasted hazelnuts?
Absolutely! If you're starting with roasted hazelnuts, you can skip the toasting step and dive right into the skin-removing fun.
What if my blender is not that potent? Do I need to add any liquid to make the process faster and/or easier?
If your blender is not that powerful, you just need to be very patient. Blend a little, turn it off and scrape down the sides of the blender so that everything is integrated, put the lid back on, and blend again until you get a creamy consistency.
Do not add any liquid, or water, or oil. The hazelnuts will release their own natural fats and that is how they’re gonna go from whole nuts to a cream or butter. Just be patient.
How should I store my Nutella?
Keep your homemade Nutella in an airtight jar in the refrigerator. It's best enjoyed within a couple of weeks.
Can I use different nuts for this recipe?
Absolutely! While hazelnuts are the traditional choice, you can experiment with almonds, cashews, or a mix of nuts for a unique flavor.
Can I make this recipe sugar-free?
Definitely! Opt for a sugar-free sweetener like monk fruit, xylitol or erythritol to keep your Nutella delightfully sugar-free.
How can I make a larger batch?
Simply multiply the ingredient quantities according to your desired batch size. This recipe is incredibly adaptable.
Is homemade nutella healthier than store-bought?
Absolutely! By using wholesome ingredients and controlling the sweetness factor, homemade Nutella can be a healthier alternative to store-bought options.
Can I use this homemade nutella in baking?
Absolutely! You can use your homemade Nutella as a filling for pastries, a swirl in muffins, or even as a topping for pancakes and waffles.
There you have it! The ultimate guide to crafting your very own vegan Nutella masterpiece. With just three simple ingredients and a whole lot of love, you can enjoy the rich, creamy deliciousness of this homemade delight.
- 2 cups hazelnuts, (260 g)
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder, (10 g)
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar, or sweetener of choice, to taste
- If you’re using raw hazelnuts, transfer them to a pan and roast them over low heat. Stir constantly so that they roast evenly.
- Once the hazelnut skin starts separating from the nut and looks a little darker, remove the pan from the heat. Pour the hazelnuts into a large bowl and let them cool down.
- Gently rub the hazelnuts to release their skins.
- Transfer the hazelnuts to a blender or food processor, add the cocoa, and blend until you get a slightly runny cream (as it sits in the fridge it will take on a thicker consistency). Finally add the sugar or sweetener of choice and blend a couple of more minutes.
- Keep in the refrigerator.