Homemade Nutella ♥
If you like Nutella, after you try this natural and homemade version, I assure you that you will no longer want to buy it in the store again.
Regardless of the fact that when making your own nutella you can control which ingredients go in there, that it is delicious, that it is much healthier than the commercial version, etc., you also stop contributing to an industry that cuts down an unimaginable number of jungle hectares and displaces thousands of monkeys and other animals from their natural habitat to obtain palm oil.
In this recipe we use only 3 ingredients and that’s it. No palm oil. So by making our own nutella at home we take care of the planet and, above all, we have a lower environmental impact derived from our consumption decisions.
How do I prepare homemade nutella?
It is super simple. You only need to blend roasted and peeled hazelnuts (in the recipe instructions we explain how to toast and peel them if you’re using raw hazelnuts) with cocoa and the sweetener of your choice. That’s all.
Easy, quick, healthy and delicious. You’ll love this homemade nutella.
Can I substitute hazelnuts for some other nut?
If you are looking to get the nutella flavor, definitely go for hazelnuts. But if that’s not a big deal for you, you can substitute hazelnuts for any other nut and add the same amount of cocoa. You can make chocolate peanut butter, chocolate cashew butter, chocolate walnut butter, etc.
What if my blender is not that potent? Do I need to add any liquid to make the process faster and/or easier?
If your blender is not that powerful, you just need to be very patient. Blend a little, turn it off and scrape down the sides of the blender so that everything is integrated, put the lid back on, and blend again until you get a creamy consistency.
Do not add any liquid, or water, or oil. The hazelnuts will release their own natural fats and that is how they’re gonna go from whole nuts to cream or butter. Just be patient. This homemade nutella is super worth it.
Now, let’s prepare this delicious Homemade Nutella ♥
By the way, this is our new cookbook! 😍
Click on the image to get more info.
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp brown sugar or sweetener of choice
- If you’re using raw hazelnuts, transfer them to a pan and roast them over low heat. Stir constantly so that they roast evenly.
- Once the hazelnut skin starts separating from the nut and looks a little darker, remove the pan from the heat. Pour the hazelnuts into a large bowl and let them cool down.
- Gently rub the hazelnuts to release their skins.
- Transfer the hazelnuts to a blender or food processor, add the cocoa, and blend until you get a slightly runny cream (as it sits in the fridge it will take on a thicker consistency). Finally add the sugar or sweetener of choice and blend a couple of more minutes.
- Keep in the refrigerator.