If you adore carrots and are searching for a delightful and wholesome vegan dessert, you've come to the right place! Our Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake is a scrumptious treat that's sure to impress both vegans and non-vegans alike.
This scrumptious treat is not only vegan-friendly but also incredibly delicious, moist, and packed with flavor. With a delightful crumble topping that perfectly complements the tender carrot cake, this dessert is sure to become a new favorite in your household.
But don't just take our word for it - read on to learn more about this amazing Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake, and discover just how easy it is to whip up this delightful dessert in your own kitchen.
To make this Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake, you'll need:
- Dry ingredients: All-purpose flour, Corn starch, Baking powder, Cinnamon, Salt
- Wet ingredients: Canola oil, Brown sugar, Applesauce, Dairy-free milk, Vanilla extract, Carrots, Roasted nuts,
For the crumble topping, you'll need:
- Coconut oil or vegan butter, Flour, Brown sugar & a pinch of salt
These simple ingredients come together to create a mouthwatering dessert!
How to make this Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake?
If you want to make this Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake, it's super easy. First, grab a bowl and mix together your dry ingredients, like flour, corn starch, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Then, in another bowl, combine the wet ingredients - canola oil, brown sugar, applesauce, milk, and vanilla extract.
Now, just mix the dry stuff into the wet stuff bit by bit, being careful not to overmix. Once that's combined, throw in your grated carrots and chopped nuts. Pour the batter into a greased pan, and then we'll make the crumble topping.
For the topping, just mix coconut oil or vegan butter with flour, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. Sprinkle it over the batter, and pop the whole thing in the oven at 350°F (176°C) for about 40-45 minutes. After it's baked and cooled a bit, you're good to go! Enjoy your delicious Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake!
↓ GET THE FULL RECIPE BELOW ↓
Why You'll Love This Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake:
- Inclusivity: This cake is vegan-friendly and suitable for a wide range of dietary preferences (it can easily be made gluten-free as well!). No one will feel left out when you serve this delectable dessert.
- Flavorful Twist: Combining carrot cake and crumble topping adds a delicious twist to the traditional carrot cake, making this recipe a unique and memorable treat.
- Friendly ingredients: Made with ingredients that are easy to find just about anywhere.
- Perfect for Every Occasion: Whether it's a special celebration, potluck, or just a casual treat to enjoy with your favorite plant-based milk, this Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake is sure to be a hit!
Creating the Perfect Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake:
The secret to making the perfect Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake lies in using fresh, high-quality ingredients and making sure not to overmix the batter. To achieve the ultimate moist and tender cake, follow these essential tips:
- Use freshly grated carrots: Grating the carrots yourself ensures a natural sweetness and moisture in the cake.
- Choose a good-quality applesauce: Applesauce is essential for adding tenderness and moisture to the cake without the need for eggs. You can use store-bought applesauce or make your own by boiling 1 large peeled and chopped apple (without the core or seeds) and blending it with 1-2 tablespoons of the same water in which they were boiled.
- Be gentle when folding in the ingredients: When incorporating the carrots and roasted nuts into the batter, gently fold them in to avoid overmixing, which can result in a dense cake.
- Master the crumble topping: The crumble topping is what truly sets this cake apart! Made with a blend of coconut oil or vegan butter, flour, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt, the crumble adds a delightful crunch and sweetness to the moist carrot cake. Mastering the perfect crumble topping will ensure that heavenly contrast between the soft cake and the crispy topping in every bite.
Can I use gluten-free flour instead of all-purpose flour?
Yes, you can use a 1:1 gluten-free flour blend as a substitute for all-purpose flour to maintain the correct consistency and texture in the cake.
Can I use a different type of oil instead of canola oil for this Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake?
Yes, you can substitute vegetable oil, melted coconut oil, or another neutral-flavored oil for the canola oil in this recipe.
Can I use homemade applesauce?
Yes, you can make your own applesauce by boiling 1 large peeled and chopped apple (without the core or seeds) and blending it with 1-2 tablespoons of the same water in which they were boiled.
Can I use a different type of dairy-free milk for this Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake?
Yes, you can use any type of plant-based milk you prefer, such as almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk.
Can I add raisins or other dried fruit to the cake?
Yes, you can add raisins or other dried fruit to the cake, but be sure to adjust the amount of grated carrots and roasted nuts accordingly to maintain the right balance of ingredients.
Can I make this cake nut-free?
Yes, you can omit the roasted nuts or replace them with a nut-free alternative like sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds.
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the cake ahead of time and store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Can I make this recipe into cupcakes or muffins?
Yes, you can easily transform this recipe into cupcakes or muffins by dividing the batter and crumble topping evenly among a greased or lined muffin tin. Be sure to adjust the baking time accordingly, usually around 20-25 minutes.
Can I add frosting to this cake?
While the crumble topping adds a delicious crunch and sweetness to the cake, you can also choose to add a vegan cream cheese frosting or any other vegan frosting of your choice to enhance the flavor.
This Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake is not only mouthwatering but also nourishing and simple to make. It's the perfect dessert for special occasions, potlucks, or just enjoying at home with a cup of tea or coffee.
Plus, it's a great way to incorporate more veggies into your diet while indulging in a sweet treat. Give this recipe a try, and you'll soon see why it's a favorite among vegans and non-vegans alike!
Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour (150 g)
- 1 tablespoon corn starch (8 g)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil (80 ml)
- ⅔ cup brown sugar (100 g)
- ⅓ cup applesauce*
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk (60 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups carrots, grated (195 g)
- ½ cup roasted nuts, chopped (50 g)
- ¼ cup coconut oil or vegan butter/margarine (56 g)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (60 g)
- 6 tablespoon brown sugar (56 g)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF (176ºC). Grease and dust a 7-inch round cake pan or square baking dish and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, corn starch, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the canola oil, brown sugar, applesauce, milk and vanilla extract. Mix well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Be careful not to overmix the batter.
- Fold in the grated carrots and chopped roasted nuts until evenly distributed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan or baking dish, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Prepare the crumble topping: In a small mixing bowl, combine the coconut oil or vegan butter/margarine, flour, brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. Use a fork to mix the ingredients.
- Evenly crumble the topping over the carrot cake batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve the Vegan Carrot Crumble Cake at room temperature with a glass of your favorite plant-based milk, and enjoy!