Vegan Oatmeal and Peanut Butter Cookies ♥
This cookie recipe is one of the first ones I made when I had just become vegan. I wanted to make cookies that were crunchy, but didn’t have vegan butter or some other type of fats. So I tried peanut butter as my fat source and they came out great!
Besides the flavor that pb adds to these vegan oatmeal and peanut butter cookies is just WOW.
Can I substitute peanut butter?
Without a doubt, you can use any other nut cream or even coconut oil or margarine. If you opt for coconut oil or margarine, use only 90 gr.
How do I get my vegan oatmeal and peanut butter cookies to be soft instead of crunchy?
If you like soft cookies better, skip the time in the oven off and take them out right after the 20 minutes at 180°C are done. Just don’t skip letting them cool down on the tray before removing them.
How should I store these vegan oatmeal and peanut butter cookies?
As a personal suggestion (it’s my favorite thing to do), store the cookies in an airtight container and pop it in the fridge. This will keep them crispy longer.
What should I do if my cookies have softened and want to make them crispy again?
If the cookies have softened, it means that they have absorbed moisture from the atmosphere (they were left uncovered for a long time, the temperatura is a little high, the place where you live is very humid, etc.). So, to return to their previous state they have to lose that moisture, which means that you only need to pop them in the preheated oven (175 ° C) for a couple of minutes (usually 2-3 minutes), and they will be like freshly baked. Just let them cool to finish hardening.
Important TIPS when making cookies
- If you have a scale, weigh the ingredients instead of measuring them with cups and tablespoons. This is to be as accurate as possible.
- Do not over-mix the cookie dough, as soon as the ingredients are integrated, stop mixing.
- If you want the cookies to be crispy, after baking, leave them in the oven off for 8-12 more minutes. If you want them to be slightly soft, skip this step.
- When you take the cookies out of the oven, let them cool on the tray for 10 minutes before moving them.
Now, let’s prepare these delicious Vegan Oatmeal and Peanut Butter Cookies ♥
By the way, this is our new cookbook! 😍
Click on the image to get more info.
Vegan Oatmeal and Peanut Butter Cookies
- ½ cup + 1 tbsp brown sugar (120g)
- 100 ml dairy-free milk
- ¼ cup + 3 tbsp peanut butter (100g)
- ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup oats (100g)
- 1 cup ground oats or oat flour (100g)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Roasted peanuts optional for decoration
- In a bowl, beat the sugar and milk until it dissolves. Add peanut butter, vanilla and incorporate very well.
- Add the oats, oat flour, baking soda, salt and fold them in. Do not over-mix, just make sure there are no flour lumps.
- Pop the dough in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (355°F).
- Divide the dough into 9 parts and place them on a non-stick baking sheet or a silicone mat/parchment paper, you can use an ice cream spoon to scoop them out. Make sure to leave a bit of space between the cookies because they will expand a little.
- Lightly press the cookies and optionally add some peanuts on top as decoration.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until cookies are light golden brown. Turn the oven off and let the cookies sit inside for 8-12 minutes.
- Take the tray out of the oven and let them cool completely before removing the cookies. It is important to allow them to reach room temperature so that they can harden.
- Store them in an airtight container in a cool place or in the fridge.