Prepare your taste buds for a delightful journey with our Easy Vegan Pumpkin Cake – a simple, fluffy, and dairy-free indulgence. This easy-to-make treat promises the perfect balance of rich pumpkin flavor and a light, moist texture.
Each component in our Easy Vegan Pumpkin Cake plays a crucial role:
- Plant-based milk: Adds moisture for a tender texture.
- Apple cider vinegar: Activates leavening agents, ensuring a fluffy rise.
- All-purpose or oat flour: Provides structure while maintaining a light crumb.
- Pumpkin spice or ground cinnamon: Infuses warm, aromatic flavors.
- Baking powder: Contributes to the cake's leavening.
- Baking soda: Enhances the rise and tenderness.
- Salt: Balances sweetness and enhances overall flavor.
- Brown sugar: Adds a deep, caramelized sweetness.
- Vegetable oil: Ensures a moist and soft consistency.
- Pumpkin puree: Imparts the signature pumpkin taste and moisture.
- Silken tofu: Enhances fluffiness without dairy.
- Vanilla extract: Elevates the overall flavor profile with a hint of sweetness.
See recipe card AT THE BOTTOM for quantities
🥄Instructions in a Nutshell
- Preheat the oven and prepare your cake pan.
- Mix plant-based milk with apple cider vinegar and let it sit.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Combine milk-vinegar mixture with sugar, oil, pumpkin puree, tofu, and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry, until combined.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake.
- Cool before removing from the pan.
🔁 Substitutions & Variations
Explore the versatility of this vegan pumpkin cake! For a personal touch, consider these variations:
- Spice it Up: Adjust the spice levels by adding nutmeg or allspice for a personalized flavor profile.
- Nutty Touch: Boost the texture and flavor by adding a handful of chopped nuts or seeds to the batter.
- Frosting: Explore various vegan frosting options like cream cheese or chocolate ganache for an extra layer of decadence.
- Seasonal Twist: Incorporate seasonal fruits like diced apples or cranberries to enhance freshness and flavor.
Keep your vegan pumpkin cake fresh and moist with these storage tips:
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days.
- Refrigerate for an extended shelf life of up to a week.
- Freeze slices individually for a convenient grab-and-go treat.
- To thaw, simply leave in the refrigerator overnight. For a quick reheat, you can optionally use a toaster or microwave.
Ensure your cake stays as delicious as the day it was baked!
👩🏻🍳 Top tip
Maintain the soft and fluffy texture of your cake by handling the mixing process with care. Cease mixing as soon as no visible flour clumps remain in the batter. Going beyond this point in mixing may impact the cake's desired softness.
Yes, feel free to experiment with a gluten-free mix or oat flour based on your preference.
Silken tofu enhances the cake's texture, but you can substitute it with vegan yogurt.
Allow the cake to cool completely, approximately 30 minutes, before removing.
Absolutely! Feel free to substitute with your preferred plant-based milk, such as almond, soy, or oat milk, based on your taste preferences or dietary needs.
Absolutely, homemade pumpkin puree adds a fresh, authentic touch to the cake.
Yes, adjust the baking time to approximately 20-25 minutes for cupcakes. Make sure to do the toothpick test in the center.
Canned pumpkin puree is often recommended for pumpkin cake recipes. It provides a consistent texture and flavor. However, you can also use homemade pumpkin puree from sugar pumpkins for a fresh and authentic touch.
Excess moisture in a pumpkin cake can result from overloading the batter with wet ingredients, such as too much pumpkin puree. Additionally, underbaking or not allowing the cake to cool completely can contribute to excessive moisture. Ensure precise measurements and thorough baking for the ideal texture.
Pumpkin spice typically consists of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Complementary flavors include vanilla, maple, and caramel. Additionally, ingredients like chocolate, pecans, and cream cheese can enhance the overall taste profile when combined with pumpkin spice.
🤌🏽 We recommend...
If you want to take your pumpkin cake to the next level, we highly recommend making a batch of our Vegan Dulce de Leche in 3 Minutes! Then serve the cake with a little drizzle of this yummy sauce.
Vegan Pumpkin Cake
- 200 ml plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 ⅔ cups all-purpose or oat flour (320 g)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin spice or ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup brown sugar (212 g)
- ⅔ cup vegetable oil (137 g)
- 1 cup + 3 tablespoon pumpkin puree (285 g)
- ¼ cup blended silken tofu* (40 g)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (176°C). Grease and flour a 9” (23 cm) cake pan.
- In a cup, mix the milk with apple cider vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cinnamon/pumpkin spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the milk and vinegar mixture with sugar, oil, pumpkin puree, blended silken tofu, and vanilla.
- Incorporate the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow it to cool before removing from the pan.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these: